Saturday, November 26, 2016

Join-As-You-Go Granny Squares the EyeLoveKnots Way - Photo Tutorial

I am currently working on a project that uses this technique - a great technique I have used in the past that pretty much forces you to weave in your ends as you go, and avoids having a bunch of granny squares sitting around and having to sew them together later.

For this tutorial, I am using Big Twist Yarns Premium (JoAnn's) in the Premium Ocean colorway and a J10/6mm crochet hook, but any yarn and hook will work!

Before we start, in what projects can you use this technique? There is no limit! I have used this technique to join squares to make blankets, a headband, a sweater, and now... Well, you'll have to wait and see ;)
Do you have a project in mind you'd like to see done with this technique? Drop me a line in the comments section.

*Please respect my work - do not pin, save or share the tutorial collages - only the title photo. Thanks! Provide link for others to find, please do not copy and paste my work anywhere.

Square with 1 Side to Join - Click to Enlarge:
**If you have a larger square than mine, you will continue working Steps 2 and 3 until you have reached the corner chain space.
Square with 2 or More Sides to Join - Click to Enlarge:
The only time you'll really have more than two sides to join is if you forget to put in a square, and have to go back and add it. That is the only time I had to work a three sided join - the two as usual, and the third to the square to the left of the one working. 

I usually work across one row, and then go back and weave in my ends so I don't have a bunch of ends at the end of my project - completely up to you!

When I know that I will be working an edging over the piece, and adding more squares to center ones, I will work a regular single crochet join. 
If I don't plan on adding more squares, or an edging, then I work a nice, clean invisible join.
I know I used to be intimidated by this technique before, but I have been using it for a while, and love it's ease, look and working as I go. I hope this tutorial has helped you too!

*If you would like a PDF version of this post, you may get one through my EyeLoveKnots Etsy Shop or EyeLoveKnots Craftsy Shop for a small fee. This fee is to compensate for the view/s lost once you no longer need to return to the blog for the information, as you will have your own copy. Plus! It helps fund supplies for new projects to share with you!
Shop EyeLoveKnots Etsy - Join-As-You-Go Granny Squares
or EyeLoveKnots Craftsy - Join-As-You-Go Granny Squares.

With so many size, yarn type and color options, I would love to see them! Please share your photos on my EyeLoveKnots Facebook page, or join the EyeLoveKnots Crafting Community to share your creations, and see what other's are up to!

Don't miss out on new crochet patterns, reviews, jewelry tutorials and more! Subscribe to EyeLoveKnots by using the box on the right side toolbar, or follow me via Bloglovin!

You May Also Like...
How to Crochet a Granny Square with Photo Tutorial 

Adsense:



2 comments:

  1. Hey, thanks for this! It's just in time for Christmas gift season. I love granny squares but hate having to sew them together, and the tails always come out anyway. This will save a bunch of time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping me a line :) Granny Squares are one of my favorites! I have some fun projects coming with the new year, and an even better way of joining. Good luck this holiday season!

      Delete