Thursday, July 17, 2014

'Finger' Knit Chain Scarf Using Bargello Yarn - FREE Pattern



I have been on a finger knitting kick since my first finger knit scarf last week - funny because at first I wasn't exactly convinced, and now I love making them!

I had two balls of Bargello yarn I found on Clearance - can't remember if it was from Joann's or Michaels

I had bookmarked the Fingerless Gloves found on Yarnspirations. It requires just two balls of yarn - thought I got lucky! It ended up not working out for me though. You can find it on my Pin-Didnt board.

I also tried making a scarf out of this yarn but my idea wasn't working out for me. Another time...

I decided to take this yarn and make it into a finger knit scarf.

Materials:
-P15/11.50mm Hook (does this make me a cheater? Hehe.)
*You can absolutely use your fingers for this! Find a video tutorial by Mikey of the Crochet Crowd HERE.
-2 (or 3) balls of Bargello yarn - I used the color Pumpkin
*2 Balls will suffice, but 3 will make it easier

Time Spent:
   I was able to go through and complete this in about 15-20 minutes.

Measurements:
   100" long in circumference

Notes About Pattern:
   I used a large hook for this scarf to make the chains more consistent.

   I used two balls of yarn. To make this work, I used 1 strand from one ball and 1 strand from each side of the other ball equaling 3 strands to work with. To make this easier on yourself, you can just use 3 balls.

Pattern:
   Make a long, continuous chain of 479 (or desired length).
   After finishing your last chain, pull the yarn tail through that chain. To make it a continuous chain, take the beginning and end tails and tie them in a knot. I like to triple knot it just to be sure. Then you can cut off the remaining yarn.
*When you wrap this around, you will not even notice the knot as it will be covered BUT you could crochet a small wrap piece to put around it.

Please feel free to make and sell this scarf, but please DO NOT claim this pattern as your own nor should you sell my pattern, and DO NOT re-publish my photos as your own. DO NOT copy and paste my pattern anywhere, rather you should link to it. Thanks!

Don't Crochet/Knit but Interested in Purchasing One?
This scarf is up for sale in my Etsy shop and available as part of the Christmas in July sale! 1 Scarf for $12.50 or 2 for $20!
08.04.14 - Christmas in July Sale is over but these chain scarves are still available for sale.  
These scarves are great to wear as a long, layered necklace or gathered as a thinner, layered scarf.
Feel free to request the color of your choice! Search colors options here: Red Heart's Boutique Sashay Yarn or Bernat's Bargello Yarn.

Linked Up To:
The Creative Collection Party - The Cards We Drew
Hookin' On Hump Day #75 - Moogly Blog
6 Pallet Projects & Inspiration Monday Party - Scattered Thoughts of a Crafty Mom
Summer Creativity_Im Lovin It #217 - Tidy Mom
Show & Tell Saturday - Be Different Act Normal
Nifty Thrifty Sunday #165 - Nifty Thrifty Things
Think Pink Sunday #174 - Flamingo Toes
Craft Schooling Sunday - Creative Jewish Mom
Sharing Time Week 2 - Raising Memories
Serenity You #142 - Serenity You
Craft Showcase Link Party - Bowdabra Blog
Finding Peace Share Your Creativity Party #121 - Its Overflowing

2 comments:

  1. Oh this looks so fun to try. I've heard of finger knitting but haven't given it a try yet! Thanks so much for linking up at the Creative Collection Link Party. We hope to see you again this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The idea of working solely with my fingers instead of my hook makes me a little uneasy. I cheated and used a large crochet hook (P15/11.50). I got the same fun end result and felt much more confident and comfortable in making the chain scarf.

      Delete