Sunday, June 22, 2014

Watercolor Lily Pads Chunky Granny Square Baby Blanket and Hat - Free Crochet Pattern


I've recently taken a liking to crocheting baby blankets. While blankets aren't needed much in the hot summer weather here, they make great blankets to put down should you need to change the baby or to sit the baby down at the park.
This blanket and hat set would also work well for a photo shoot!

For this blanket, I went with the ever popular Granny Square pattern. I am in love with that pattern - as many people are!

I also fell in love with Deborah Norville Yarns - in fact, the moment I first picked a ball up. I've worked with the Serenity Garden (2), Every Day Soft (4) and the Serenity Chunky (5). I love them all! They are so soft and consistent with never any splitting or tangling.
When I went on my Joann's yarn-handling adventure, [check out my post on My Tips for Becoming More Familiar with Yarn Types] I spent a lot of time looking at the Deborah Norville Yarns. I ended up going back a few days later to pick up some chunky yarn. I had enough to make two baby blanket sets - I made one in Spring with V-Stitches and this Granny one.

Materials:
-L11/8mm Hook
-5 Balls of Chunky Yarn - I used Deborah Norville's Serenity Chunky Yarn in Kitty (or you will need 4-10 balls (depending on the size) of worsted weight)
*4 balls of the Deborah Norville yarn will give you just about 29" minus one side and no border. The extra ball will complete the blanket and leave you with enough to make a matching hat.

Time Spent:
     I was able to complete the first 9 rows (13.5") in about an hour, the 10th row in roughly 8 minutes and each remaining row took approximately half a minute more than the previous one for a total of about 3.5 hours.

Abbreviations:
     CH - Chain
     ea - each
     sp - space
     SC - Single Crochet
     DC - Double Crochet
     sl st - Slip Stitch

Gauge:
     Not important. Each row is 0.75" in height.

Measurements:
     30" x 30"
*If you're unsure about the size you'd like to make, I found a Blanket and Afghan Size Chart courtesy of Clare of BOBWILSON123 with a range of sizes for preemie's up to adult size and lapghans.

Note for Pattern:

     If you want your blanket rounds to be in alternating colors (such as red one round, blue the next), then at the end of the round you will fasten off. You will join your next color into the CH-1 space.
If you are only using one color throughout (like me), then you will be slip stitching over to the CH-1 space in the beginning of each round.

Pattern:
CH 4. Join to form a ring. CH 3. 2 DC in ring, CH 1, (3 DC in ring, CH 1) 3 times.

Rnd 2: sl st over to the CH-1 sp. CH 3, 2 DC in same CH-1 sp, CH 2, 3 DC into same sp. CH 1, (3 DC into next CH-1 sp, CH 2, 3 DC in same sp, CH 1) around. Join.

Rnd 3: sl st over to the CH-1 sp. CH 3, 2 DC in same sp, CH 2, 3 DC into same CH-1 sp, CH 1, (3 DC into next CH-sp, CH 2, 3 DC in same sp, CH 1, 3 DC in next sp, CH 1) around. Join.

Rnd 4-19: You will continue in this pattern, slip stitching into the next CH-1 sp in the beginning of each round, (3 DC, CH 2, 3 DC) in each corner (where the CH-2 spaces are), and (3 DC, CH 1) in each side (where the CH-1 spaces are). You will notice with each round, the number of CH-1 spaces will increase by 1.

Edging: After last join, CH 1, SC in ea DC and ea CH-1 sp with 2 SC in ea CH-2 sp.

Please feel free to make and sell this blanket, but please DO NOT claim this pattern as your own nor should you sell my pattern, and DO NOT re-publish my photos as your own. DO NOT copy and paste my pattern anywhere, rather you should link to it. Thanks!


For this 0-3 Month Baby Hat, I used Emi's 15 Minute Chunky Baby Hat Pattern. You can watch her How to Crochet a 15 Minute Chunky Style Beanie Hat YouTube video or vist her Etsy shop and purchase the 15 Minute Beanie pattern, which includes changes for all sizes.
I added a button on my hat. It is a 1 1/8" wood button I purchased from Joann's. I sewed it onto the left side on the second to last row. I reinforced it with a drop of hot glue on each side.
*Should the button come loose, it can pose a choking risk so do not leave babies unattended with hat.
**I DO KNOW that the picture to the left does NOT have a button on it. I realized too late that I did not get a single shot of the hat with the button on.

This Chunky Granny Square Baby Blanket and Hat Set is available for purchase in my Etsy shop. Color and size is completely customizable! Search color options here. Feel free to send me a message with your request.



No comments:

Post a Comment